Abdominal and back pain, loss of appetite, multiple mobile stones and fluid in gallbladder, advised laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Surgery needed?

Hello, I am writing about my 22 year old son. First, a little history. In July 2009, my son experienced pain in his upper abdomen that appeared to be similar to the pain I experienced years ago when I had gall bladder problems. We saw a physician who ordered ultrasound . Ultrasound showed multiple non-mobile stones and some slight thickening of wall of gall bladder. I was recommended to see surgeon. My son s symptoms passed and we did not follow-up with surgeon. It is now almost 3 years later and he recently experienced same pain as well as pain in back between shoulder blades which appears to have lasted a few days. No fever, no darkening of urine, no nausea . But he did not want to eat. (Special note, my son is special needs and has difficultly explaining his symptoms to me). Follow-up with physician and another ultra sound was performed. This time, they indicated multiple mobile stones and fluid around gall bladder. Saw surgeon who recommends laparoscopic cholecystectomy . My son has not had any pain since attack (this was a month ago). I m concerned that he is so young for such surgery. Also concerned that there my be side effects to surgery (both short and long term). However, I also don t want to expose him to risk. Can you advise?
Asked On : Sun, 27 May 2012