Abcess on lower-front gum line, pain. How to get rid off it?

At my recent 6-month dental cleaning / exam, the hygenist noticed an abcess on my lower-front gum line about 2- teeth to the right of the center. She asked if I had been aware of this and I stated no. After cleaning she took 2 X-rays of that immediate area. The dentist came by for his final check and noted this tooth was a little darker than the others. Absense of any sensitivity / pain since my last 6-month cleaning / exam in September 2011, he believes the abcess has destroyed the root. We have placed me on an antibiotic ( penicillin potassium 500MG) tabs @ 4/day and scheduled a root canal for a week from now. Question... what could have caused this? I admit I am NOT the best flosser, but I do brush my teeth 2-3 times a day, changing the brush every 6 months. I just find this odd to have this problem considering my 3 cavaties of only a pin head size in rear molers. My parents invested in a treatment of encapsulation back in the 70s which apparently helped keep the plaque, germs, bacteria, etc., from causing more cavaties. Just looking for some insight.
Asked On : Sat, 30 Mar 2013