A small lump on back. Hard to touch with a dark spot. Is it really serious to worry?

Hi, I am eighteen years old and I have a small lump on my back. It is hard to the touch with a small darker spot in the middle and my dad noticed it while we were on vacation for Christmas. I thought it was a pimple or something but it never went away. They told me that I should get it checked out but i admit I am absolutely terrified. Because when people find lumps they are usually cancer, and i don't want to hear that. I'm really scared i could use some advice.
Asked On : Wed, 10 Apr 2013