1. Long standing chronic tonsillitis
in adults leads to severe fibrosis and adhesions within the capsule of the tonsil.
2. Dissection of the tonsil involves more tissue damage, hence more bleeding, pain and post operative scarring.
3. Blood vessels supplying the tonsils are also bigger in caliber in older patients. 4. Possibly, children tend to forget and ignore the pain through distractions more easily.
5. Adult patients may have significant post nasal drip
and acid reflux
, which may delay post operative healing.
6. Adult patients are also more likely to have co-morbid conditions which increase the risk of anesthetic