A baby is infected when he has fever and cold

My baby is 13 months old. he is having fever for past 2 days,also cold. Doctor said just to give supposetry for fever (2-3 days) n for cold only steaming is required as he has no infection.Is it necessary a baby is infected when he has fever and cold,bcoz my frind told he should be infected and better medicine should be given... PLEASE ADVISE
Asked On : Thu, 24 Sep 2009

hey you need to give crocin syrup and some syrup for cold also. i give my baby crocin syrup if he has fever, he is 10 months old. and some M-cold syrup for cold.

Anonymous's Response
Hello Welcome to Healthcare Magic ,
Fever with cold i.e running nose , is usually due to upper respiratory tract infection(URTI). URTI is most commonly caused by viruses , so just needs symptomatic management i.e crocin drops for fever and some antihistaminics for cold. It usually subsides in a week .
In case symptoms persist or worsen beyond 2 days of onset or child becomes drowsy , not taking orally adequately , then there might be a bacterial infection for which you need to add on an antibiotic.
Hope i was helpfull....