A 2 years old baby keeps her tongue out, is there any treatment ?

My sister s 2 years baby tongue is in larger size. she is always keeps her tongue out. Is there any surgery for that type of problems ? can you please suggest on this....
Asked On : Thu, 14 Apr 2011
hi welcome to healthcaremagic

The tongue of the baby is usually normal in size, the baby protrudes the tongue outside the mouth due to Habit of doing it... that is not a serious issue, you can do a gentle tap on the tongue, which will help the baby to draw the tongue inside.. only by training the baby it can be modified...
General & Family Physician Dr. P. Mahesh's  Response
Hi sudhatemenos,
Welcome to HCM.
Keeping the tongue out is not due to enlarged tongue but due to some other cause. It is usually seen in Children with chromosomal disorder, such as Down's Syndrome.
In case of Down's Syndrome the child will also be mentally differentially enabled.
I'm sure you must have consulted a doctor, and he must have advised the child's mother accordingly.