93yrs old fell, has back pain and compressed disc. Taken painkillers. Feet swollen. What is the cause for swelling?

My mother is 93 and fell last Thursday. Went to the doctor on Saturday with back pain and has a compressed disc. Received pain pills although I do not know which one. On Monday her feet , toes, and ankles were swollen. Went back to the hospital, took xrays etc. and could not find the reason. Gave her additional pain pills. Do you know what may have caused the swelling? I am in California and she is in Ohio so I am learning all of this second hand .
Asked On : Sun, 24 Jun 2012