93 year old has broken nose, cheek bones, crack near neck vertebra, cut on forehead post fall, been induced medical coma. Will it aid healing?

93 year old female had a severe fall down the stairs. Broken nose and cheek bones and crack neck vertebra, also deep vertical cut in the forhead. Face severely swollen. She was awake and able to garble answers. Taken to a trauma center where doctors determined this is life threatening and have induced a medical coma . Is this to allow healing or end of life step?
Asked On : Sat, 29 Sep 2012