87 years old, diagnosed with slip disc. MRI done, multiple levels of spinal damage. Surgery or back brace?

Hi, my grand father recently took an MRS and has been diagnosed with slip disc. I do not understand much about the levels of his spine that are affected but the doctor says they are multiple. The doctor has given two options, surgery or a back brace . My family has decided to take the back brace option because my grand father is 87 years and they fear a surgery may be risky. Please what do you think is best in this situation? Thanks.
Asked On : Tue, 19 Jun 2012