87 year old. Having dementia, high blood sugar levels. On insulin. How aggressively should glucose be administered considering effects on dementia?

Tested weekly, my 87 year old mother s fasting glucose has risen for the past 3 consecutive weeks (129, then 181, now 201). Yesterday, 3+ hours after lunch, her blood sugar metered over 400, and she was given insulin 3 hours past the measurement. She is in rehab after hip surgery, with mild dementia that has markedly increased since surgery 6 weeks ago. How aggressively should I advocate for before and after meal meter readings, glucose administration, and consideration of high glucose impact on dementia?
Asked On : Thu, 10 Jan 2013