85 year old had a skull fracture, intra cranial bleeding and contusion in the arm after a fall. Need pain medication

My mother is 84 years old. She took a fall last september and had skull fructure, intracranial bleed and soft tissue contusion on her left arm, elbow, and hand. She was paralized on her left side for a couple of months immediate after her injury. Now she is able to walk and do simple physical work at home. However, she started to have left arm and shoulder pain at night. She took some commen pain medication one can buy from drug store, like Ibufropen, but no help. The pain has become so bad that she could not sleep. Dr. Grief, why the pain occured so many month after her injury? And what kind of treatment can ease the severe pain? Thanks you so much for any help you can give her!
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013