83 yrs old, pain in groin after some heavy lifting. How to relieve pain?

My husband is 83 and has been doing some heavy lifting lately. He has had pain in both sides of the groin area. He only has had 1 kidney for 20 some years and bipass heart surgery, 10 yrs ago. He is having hard time walking and we live where the doctors are far away, but I m going to take him to the ER and see what is going on. I m afraid he will not go however, but could use some advise for him, until I can get him to the clinic tomorrow. What kind of relieve do you recommend for a day
Asked On : Wed, 13 Feb 2013