82 years. Severe lower back pain, depression, low appetite. Detected infection in spine. On IV of vcomycin and indocareitis. Side effects of this treatment?

My male friend is 82 years old. He has severed lower back pain. The doctors advise that he has an infection in the spine. He has a pacemaker. They put in a port in his arm where they use Vcomycin and Indocareitis in the I.V. at the hospital every morning. It takes 2 hours for this IV to get in his body. His 6 weeks treatment is narrowing down to where he has only 1 week left. However, he still has back pain (just not as bad). They have told us that they are treating the heart as well as his back with this. We are wondering about the side effects of this treatment medication. He is not eating and is depressed. The doctor feels that he should be over this infection by now.
Asked On : Fri, 19 Jul 2013