80 year old with sudden development of slurred speech, disorientation and loss of strength in the hand. No diabetes or hypertension. What could be wrong?

hello doctor, my father is aged 80 years, with no blood sugar or blood pressure records. About two days ago, suddenly he lost his speech for about five-ten minutes, accompanied by loss of strength in his left hand to hold any object. When he was trying to talk, it was all slurred speech and he had a disoriented expression and not comprehending well what was told. Within about ten minutes, he got back to normalcy, regaining his speech and his hand stability. He is now fine, but is a bit disoriented , and has slurring in his speech for a few seconds for about two-three times in a day. Previously, he has had black-outs and giddiness for a few minutes , around once in two-three years in the last decade . The sudden slurring of speech and disorientation of his has got me worrried. Please kindly advise.
Asked On : Sat, 1 Dec 2012