79 year old, had abrasions on penile head post intercourse causing painful irritation, split bleeds occasionally. Cause?

I am 79 and have had a 40+ year-old girlfriend for over a year, with whom I have regular sexual intercourse. Lately, (for the last 2-3 months) I have experienced abrasions to the head of my penis following intercourse. Painful. The abrasions look like the outer layer of skin has split. The result is painful irritation and the split bleeds sometimes. I have been applying terramycin cream to the spot. Last night I felt extreme pain that caused me to stop intercourse. When I returned home, I found a nickel-sized painful red area in another area on the head of my penis. Is this me because my penis is unable to sustain the stress anymore, or is it a result of lack of sufficient vaginal lubrication; or whatever else.
Asked On : Mon, 8 Oct 2012