76 yr old. Having balance problems. Taking treatment for vertigo. Not effective. Severe heaviness in legs, difficulty in walking. Suggestions?

My husband, 76 years old, has been experiencing loss of balance for the past few weeks. Our GP has referred him to an ENT , who treated him for vertigo . The ENT s treatment and medication have not been effective after 3 weeks. Since a few days ago my husband also suffers from severe heaviness in both his legs and finds it difficult to walk even a few steps. The loss of balance is also still a factor. We live in a double storey house and the stairs make it even more difficult for my husband to move around, given his wonkiness and heavy legs. Where should we go or what should we do next?
Asked On : Thu, 21 Mar 2013