7 yr old complains of stomach pain. What can be the reason ?

My seven year old daughter complains of stomach pain all the time and has for years. I thought maybe when she was younger around 3 or 4 she was just experiencing digestion feelings she was just vocalizing. I made her two Kashi blueberry waffles which has 23 grams of whole grain with syrup this morning. One hour later she was grimacing in pain.
Asked On : Thu, 13 Sep 2012
Pediatrician, Cardiology 's  Response
Thanks for the query
I want to give you some information regarding chronic pain abdomen in children. More than one third of children complain of abdominal pain lasting two weeks or longer. The diagnostic approach to abdominal pain in children relies heavily on the history provided by the parent and child to direct a step-wise approach to investigation. If the history and physical examination suggest functional abdominal pain, constipation or peptic disease, the response to an empiric course of medical management is of greater value than multiple “exclusionary” investigations. A symptom diary allows the child to play an active role in the diagnostic process. The medical management of constipation, peptic disease and inflammatory bowel disease involves nutritional strategies, pharmacologic intervention and behavior and psychologic support.
So I would suggest you to consult a pediatrician so that he will take a proper history and if needed will go for battery of investigation to make a proper diagnosis. Many a time even after all investigation no cause could be found and then a diagnosis of Functional abdominal pain is made which is also common in this age group.
I hope this answers your query well
Wish you and your family good health
With regards