7 year son, history of dry skin, rashes, itchy. Diagnosed as scabies. Any ideas?

I have a 7 yr old son who has a history of dry skin and frequently gets eczema-like rashes. For the second yr in a row around this time of yr he has a rash on the outside of both elbows, the tops of his knees and on the backs of his wrists. It is worse on his elbows than anywhere else. They look kinda like pimples, they are red and itchy. I started applying hydrocortisone cream last night and they already look a little better, not as red. Last yr his dr diagnosed it as scabies, but I really don't think that's what it is. Any ideas?
Asked On : Wed, 1 May 2013