7 month old born with hypertrophy of the lateral fold of the hallux. Skin growing over the toe nail. Surgery needed?

I have a 7 month old - he was born with what I have come to understand is hypertrophy of the lateral fold of the hallux - skin growing up over his big toenail - we (the dr and I) have been watching to see if it would correct itself - it appears the nail is becomming more deeply ingrown - the skin is red and swollen - I take him in tomorrow morning - topical antibiotics? topical steroids? will this need surgery? any opinions?
Asked On : Fri, 24 Aug 2012