63yrs old, Have cough and burning sensation in chest. Taken Nyquil and Delsym. How do I reduce cough?

I have had a cough for over a week that is intense and causes me to feel like i cannot catch my breath. It keeps me up all night. The phlegm seems like it is from sinus but i have taken nyquil , delsym and pseudaphed. But not at the same time however with no relief. Now my lungs have a burning sesation in chest and back when i cough I have never smoked. Now my head is hurting badly and i am tired. I am 63 and i have high blood pressure so i know the cough syrup is not good for me but i cannot stop coughing. Had a fever but do not have one now.
Asked On : Tue, 28 Aug 2012