58 years old suffering from severe edema but i do not have any varicose veins

I am experiencing severe edema of over 20 pounds when off of diuretics, itchy skin , and now itchy palm, with the slightest swelling or mark that is undistinguishable. A missionary in the Philippines living at over 5,000 ft elevation. Was hospitalized in January for a couple of days for tests and echo-cardiogram shows my heart is strong, sodium and potassium levels, thyroid and cbc all normal.....diuretics were administered in IV, and I lost 23 pounds during the 2 day hospital stay from the diuretics. Final diagnosis: venous insufficiency, although no tests on my veins were administered, and I do not have any varicose veins , etc. I weigh 175 pounds when on diuretice, 198 when off. For 3 years I walk briskly almost every day for 30 minutes, as I have knee problems that prevent jogging. I have been on low-fat, very low sodium diet since, and still getting edema. Looking for answers more than what is given me... Could it be kidney or liver? Is the elevation a factor? I come from California, lived at sea-level all my life...58 years old
Asked On : Fri, 25 Mar 2011