57 years old. Have high heart rate. Gets too high while exercising. Recommendations?

Over the last year I have had a high heart rate = average 94 - sometimes well over a hundred even after just sitting. I have been to see my GP who says I just have to accept that it is high. I have stated going to the gym as I thought it might help. I get on the cross trainer and within 2 mins it is telling me to slow down to reduce my heart rate as it is too high (approx 150-160). This means that I am simply walking (not fast) and I feel I am getting nothing out of the excercise. Can I push myself harder. I am 57 years old and weigh approx 50kgs (looking to lose about 7lbs) plus get fit.
Asked On : Mon, 15 Apr 2013