51 year old with heavy periods. Not get reached menopause. Why?

I m 51 yrs old. Started my period 5 days ago. It was pretty light up until yesterday, then it became very heavy (pushed the tampon out heavy) and there are very large clots. That lasted about 3 hours then went back to being light. It happened again today. When I was younger my periods were vey heavy with severe cramps , but I only had it every 3-6 months. In my 20 s it became regular though the period itself would last 5-7 days. Both my mother and grandmother went through menopause in their early 40 s (each had 1 child), I ve had 3 kids. What could be causing this?
Asked On : Fri, 5 Apr 2013