51 year old, get periods, have severe itch on different body parts during night time. What could the cause be?

Hi Doctor, I am a 51 year old female, who is still having periods (although not regular anymore) so I would say I going through the menopause . Over the last week I have developed a severe itch which is in different areas of my body at different times (both day and night) for example on my arms, legs, neck face, head, back, bum, feet actually just about everywhere. I had heard about an itch that affects menopausal women but I thought this mainly affected arms and legs and only at nightime. So I googled itchy body in women and read a couple of different websites. I was shocked to read that all over body itch could be caused by cancer i.e lymphona. This has me worried, that I might have lymphona and that is what is causing this sudden onset of itching. I don t seem to have any of theother symptoms of lymphona like the fever, weight loss etc. Please let me know what you think. Am I panicking? Many thanks for all your help and advice, it is very much appreciated. Mar, (Dublin)
Asked On : Tue, 22 Jan 2013