5 yr old having severe leg cramps. Arms also aching. Getting relief with heat pad. Cause?

My 5 year-old son,for the last three weeks, has been having severe leg cramps mostly at night, but sometimes during the day too...when this happens in the day I notice he has blotchy skin . This evening his arms also were aching. He doesn t seem able to pin point one exact spot, a warm bath or heat pad seems to soothe it. I wondered if it was just vitamin deficiency of some kind and have him on a multi which seemed to improve them. I also use a muscle pain cream at night which seems to get him through the night...I thought we were through the stage only to have this intense attack tonight....please advise
Asked On : Sun, 6 May 2012