5 year old has bandy legs, turned in feet, can't sit cross legged. Should I worry?

Hello. My nearly 5 year old (in 2 months) has just started reception class at school. He has been there two weeks and today I had my chat with the teacher. She said she is happy with him settling in and academically but she is concerned he can t sit cross legged on the floor and doesn t sit straight. I hadn t noticed either of these things. He did start walking early at 9 months and had bandy legs and turned in feet . He saw a specialist for this who checked his hips etc once a year until last year when she discharged him as she was happy with his progress. The teacher has arranged someone from special needs section to see my child and I m confused as to why as he is very intelligent to which she agrees. What do you think? Thank you.
Asked On : Thu, 27 Sep 2012
Hi, welcome to healthcare magic

I can understand your confusion, special needs assessment implies that there is a obvious developmental issue either physical or mental.
She stated that she thinks that he is intelligent and therefore there are no known mental development issues.
I do not believe that not wanting to sit in a cross leg position classifies as a physical development issue, maybe your son thinks that position is uncomfortable for him.Sitting up straight or slouching is usually a matter of teaching a person the correct way to sit.
You can consider getting a letter from the specialist that saw him previously, outlining her assessment of him and any issues she did or didn't find and submitting it to the school.

Speak to the teacher again, if possible to clarify the reason for the referral.You can probadly do this when you submit the letter for the orthopedic doctor.
If your son needs help in any areas it is best that he is seen early to maximise his potential.

I hope this helps
Allergist and Immunologist Dr. Suman Kumar's  Response
THERE MAY BE LITTLE DEFECT LEFT BEFORE
YOU WILL HAVE TO SEE THE DOCTOR WHO CAN PRESCRIBE YOU PHYSIOTHERAPY AND SOME SUPPORTIVE PROCEDURES TO CORRECT
IN CHILDREN IT IS EASY TO CORRECT THE THINGS