Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

5 year old. Swallowed kerosene. Vomited after 4 hours, fever. Tests normal. Suggest?

Hi veena from india, 3 days before my son (5 yrs) had swallowed little kerosene. after 4 hrs vomited and we took him to hospital they had put him to observation and everthing like pulse rate , BP was normal even its normal now. and after 12 hrs doctor had taken xray and everthing is normal. he got fever 99. but doesnt have any caugh. my question is that, kerosene effect will be there for how many days and how many days he should be in observation, its urgent please suggest me as i am worried a lot about this and not able to do anything.
Asked On : Sun, 30 Dec 2012
Answers:  4 Views:  66
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Pediatrician 's  Response
I understand your concern.
most important concern in kerosene poisoning is chemical need not to worry as your child was properly evaluated and investigated by doctors.
relax he will be fine soon and in future please keep all such things out of reach to small kids.
take care.
Answered: Wed, 2 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Hi Veena,
Kerosene ingestion leads to aspiration pneumonitis if it is aspirated into lungs and some times leads to seizures as it is hydrocarbon and causes cerebral stimulation. If there are no seizures and no syptoms and signs of aspiration pneumonia and chest x ray is normal child 24 hours observation is usually required with a follow up visit if required.
Answered: Wed, 2 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Aruna. K's  Response
hello veena..
firstly stop panicking as already u have been to doctor and taken x-ray too and the result is normal nothing to worry at present.. as already 3 days have passed and the child is safe and having good diet and good urine and normal motions,, u need not worry at all..
kerosene poisoning usually depends on the amount of kerosene taken ..little amount does not cause much harm and in ur case u have already taken treatment and its normal..
so dont worry ..all the best..
Answered: Wed, 2 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician, Cardiology Dr. Pradeep Kumar's  Response
Kerosene ingestion can lead to gastrointestinal or respiratory problems. In gastrointestinal problems there may be vomiting, burning sensation or diarrhea. In respiratory system it may cause chemical pneumonia which usually manifested in chest X ray after 6-8 hours.
As your child was kept under observation for more than 12 hours and every thing including chest X ray is normal, you need not to worry.
With regards
Answered: Thu, 3 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor