5 month old with strong ammonia smell

I have a 5 month old son who s stools have started smelling like ammonia. They are dry and the consistency of play-doh. They are very dark green. He urinates well, and eats well and often. I have started him on rice cereal with no problems. I introduced applesauce, bananas, green beans, all with no problems. He has had sweet potatoes once over a week ago, no problem. He has been eating pears while having the smelly stools, could this be the problem ? What else could be causing the ammonia smell ?
Asked On : Sat, 26 Feb 2011
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
The mordern science has studied
the Ammonia smelling stools can be attributed to bacteria overgrowth or nitrogen being insufficiently digested or improperly metabolized. When food is insufficiently digested, the non-absorbed food can then become food for harmful bacteria, or just putrefy, in the gut. Either of these leads to toxins being released in the body.
So consult your nearest physicians for better counceling/Therapeutic test and get well soon