5 month child having on and off purple spots on leg, sore tongue. Concerned

My 5 month old son had these purple spots appear on his left leg a few weeks ago, They went away a few days later, They returned again today in the same spots plus a couple more. He has a sore on his tongue also, im not sure if its from his fingernail because his hands are constantly in his mouth.I was just curious because he is eating fine, temp is normal, and he is very content as normal.
Asked On : Sat, 14 Jul 2012

Thank you for your query.

Children at this age tend to put everything in their mouth and this may the reason why he has bruised himself.

The purple spot on the legs and/or back are usually known as mongolian spots and they disappear with time. As you mention that they recurred in the same spot I suggest that you consult your doctor if they recur so that the spots can be evaluated.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your son all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal