5 and half months baby has dark green solid poop, rashes on chin, neck and tummy. Started solids, oats cereal. Reasons ?

Hi Doctor I have started solids(rice and fruit mix cereal morning and evening and fruit mango/apple in the afternoon) to my 5 and half months old son.right from the day I started solids poop is dark green in color and to day the third day I fed him oats cereal in the morning and mango in the afternoon by evening he got rashes on his chin neck and tummy .he he also making grunt/uneasy sounds from the second day.And milk I give him formula.could you please tell me what s normal and what is not normal.
Asked On : Tue, 23 Oct 2012

Thank you for your query.

It is very common for the stool of babies to change colour after you introduce different food items. I would not worry about it.

Regarding rash over chin, neck and tummy, it shall have to be observed as how they progress. In case you introduced top milk for the first time in the form of oats cereal and fruit mix cereal then one needs to exclude cow milk allergy. However my advice would be to wait and watch as there can be other reasons for the rash. If need be consult a doctor.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.