49 years, want a baby. What are chances and risk?

Hi I am a 49 yo woman in otherwise excellent health, I have had three healthy children , youngest is 9 , no complications with any ot then no trouble conceiving very quickly. U had a therma choice ablation in 2003 , still have regular period every 28 days,.Want to have one more baby. What are chances and risk. ps I am an or nurse so I
enough to be dangerous. thx you
Asked On : Thu, 17 Oct 2013
Mar 2014
There are certain risks that are increased with increasing age.
For the mother:
1. the chances of conceiving easily become lesser as age increases. Neverthless this must not dishearten you as you still have regular periods despite an ablation procedure.
2. The risk of developing disorders like increased blood sugar and blood pressure levels during pregnancy are higher.
3. the risk that the pregnancy will occur at an abnormal place like the tubes is slightly. However this can be detected early by consulting a good obstetrician early on and taking proper antenatal care and regular ultrasonography.
certain conditions like a low lying placenta and bleeding and so the risk of cesarean section is also slightly higher. However if you have had previous normal deliveries, the chances of delivering again are higher.
4. risks of abortion are slightly higher, can be prevented by taking progesterone and bed rest to a certain extent.
For the baby: certain conditions like Downs syndrome [ a genetic abnormality] are higher along with other chromosomal defects. They can be detected by blood test or testing the fetal chromosomes by collecting cells from the baby while still inside the uterus [amniocentesis or chorionic villus biopsy].

So the risks are there but they can be recognized early on by consulting a good obstetrician on a regular basis and a good outcome achieved.

Hope I was able to help you.
Thank you!