45 years old, delayed periods, spotting. Negative pregnancy test. Causes for delayed periods?

My period was due to start four days ago. I began seeing streaks of blood on toilet paper, but never any on the pad. This went on for two days and then nothing. I am now showing no signs of my period. My husband had a vasectomy last year and went through all the test to show he is sterile. Just on the odd chance, I took a pregnancy test which showed I was not pregnant. I have normal periods approximately every 28 days, like clockwork. I m 45. Why would my period stop?
Asked On : Sun, 9 Dec 2012