44 year old, have continuous periods. What could be going on?

I am 44 years old and my period won t stop. It started like normal and ended like normal. Then a week later it returned and I am going on day 5 of my extra period for this month. I have been regular for most of my life except for about a year ago when I had just a little bit of bleeding between periods. This time it is quite heavy and not showing signs of slowing down. What could be going on?
Asked On : Fri, 26 Oct 2012
From history it seems that you are having your menopause near.
During this period due to hormonal disturbances, period can be light or more.
To be on safe side go for gynaec check up and ultra sound to rule out any pathology in your uterus.
Ok and take care.