43 years old suffering from jaw lock. Can gum/teeth problem be a reason ?

hello i am 43 yrs old,female and i feel pain in my right jew for the past yrs.I have with fears because i can t open my mouth widely.And i am also consult a dentist about this and they said maybe it is due to gums or teeth problem.But i want to assure.Is it true that it is due to a gums/teeth problem?I can t take any dental procedure because i was afraid of getting lock jew when i open my mouth widely.Thank you hope you advise me for this.
Asked On : Tue, 5 Apr 2011
Dentist 's  Response
jaw locking can be habit or occasional .Prevention of jaw locking problem is to be on soft diet and not to open mouth too widely and not to ywan with wide mouth . For treatment you have to take radiograph with TMj view to see any problem in joint? I advise to take a radiograph and consult with your dentist.