41yrs old with symptoms of heart racing, urge to urinate. BP normal. Is it Supraventricular tachycardia?

Hi, Last week I laid down in bed to watch tv when all of a sudden I started to feel really flushed, my heart was racing and I thought I was going to throw up, even though my tummy wasn t bothering me. After about a minute the feeling passed. A few minutes later, I felt a strange thunk (literally, like a knock) in my chest and my heart started racing again, I felt flushed and like I might be sick. It passed again after about 30-60 seconds and then I had a strong urge to urinate and I got really cold . This probably happened another 7 times, every 5 minutes or so and then it just went away and hasn t returned since. FYI, I am a 41yr old female and I have normal blood pressure and am relatively healthy and eat well, although could stand to loose 10-15 pounds. Any idea what this might be? Should I visit a doctor or should I wait and see if this happens again as it wasn t really painful and it did not affect my breathing . I did a bit of research and found information on SVT ( Supraventricular tachycardia ) and the symptoms sounded similar. Thanks so much for any information you can provide!
Asked On : Fri, 16 Nov 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Respected Ma'm
Thanks for your query to us.
This is possibly a rhythm disorder of heart. Supraventricular tachycardia is one of them. The exact diagnosis can be made only after having a look on ECG of that time when you are having symptoms. Sometime we get a holter monitoring (24 hours ECG) done for same.
An urge to pass urine is well described in episodes of SVT.
You must visit a doctor for two reasons. 1. To get worked-up to ascertain the exact cause of your symptoms and to rule out more serious rhythm disorders 2. To rule out any underlying structural heart disease. This should be done on urgency if you ever had a blackout/ unexplained fall or transient loss of consciousness.
Hope this helps.
Sukhvinder Singh