41 years old, have PCOD, pregnant with second child, got some bleeding. Is this a miscarriage?

my daughter is 41, has been diagnosed with polycystic ovaries in the past. After trying for 2 yrs to conceive naturally she had 1 failed IVF and then had a succesful IVF and has a beautiful son now 2. Around Christmas time she was surprised and delighted to find she had conceived naturally. She is currently in her 12th week of pregnancy-- due her first scan this week. She has had 2-3 episodes in the last 5 weeks of passing brown blood and though very concerned we have tried to remain positive. Last night she had more blood and went to A&E. They did various blood and hormone tests and looked at her cervix . They said all results came back showing she was still pregnant, but said there was blood in the vaginal canal. They sent her home, told her to rest,and said she may get further bleeding but to monitor it, and to go to scan appointment as scheduled on Tuesday. During the early hours of the morning she was bleeding red blood with clots and my son-in law told me he saw white tissue about the size of a butter bean. We are all really upset and realise she is probably miscarrying the baby as it should be bigger than the tissue found. The question is if the baby died a few weeks ago why is her body still showing normal pregnancy hormones etc. Could she maybe be carrying a twin? What are the ongoing problems for her whether still pregnant or not. They have been advised to take the tissue along when they go for the scan tomorrow. Is there any way they can find out why this happened and what is the best time to wait to see if she can conceive again. She wants a second baby desparately but knows time is against her. The second IVF was done privately so it is difficult for us to afford that again. Thanks for your help. Lyn Harris
Asked On : Thu, 28 Feb 2013