4 yr old having reflux problem, frequent UTI's, advised cefphlacin till 6 yrs old. Is it safe ?

my daughter aged 4 having reflux problem,two times in 4 years she had UTI and it is treated with antibiotics .child s doctor has told us to continue cefphlacin 125mg ,7ml daily till my child gets age 6.Is is good for the kidneys to have a long term medication?shall we stop the antibiotic.could you give us suggestion please?
Asked On : Fri, 23 Nov 2012
Nephrologist 's  Response
If the child has moderate reflux with recurrent UTI one of the accepted forms of therapy is long term antibiotics. If infection can be prevented it will protect the kidneys in the long term.
The other option is surgery. However your paediatric urologist/ nephrologist is the best person to decide medical or surgical management
Good luck