4 year old showing lack of interest in studies and concentration. What is the problem?

i have 4year old son. He recently (from last 6 months) started talking short sentences. in most of the matters his intelligence is lower than 2year old kid. lack of concentration, curiosity, interest in studies. all his classmates are learning 3 to 4 letter words where as my son is still in alphabets. he is shy boy, plays with very well known family people. health wise he is normal. what is his problem ? can he become an intelligent boy ? what should i do ?
Asked On : Tue, 12 Feb 2013
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Children develop differently and have different talents and interests. He may be quite intelligent but have difficulty grasping certain areas, this does mean he cannot learn.
There are guidelines which specify the goals or the expected developmental level at the different ages. You can consider taking him to his pediatrican to find out if he is at the appropriate level, explain your concerns.
In some children , it is a matter of hearing, visual difficulties or difficulties grasping certain ideas.
If the doctor finds that there is developmental delay based on international expectations , then she may advise an educational or other assessment.

Be patient with him, go slowly, praise him for what he knows and when he tries. Read alot to him and when you do, point to the words as you read, place cards labelling items around the home and go through them with him.

I hope this helps

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
Every chid has his own style of temperament, some will be very active, some will be shy.
So it is very difficult to compare one child with the other.One will be fast and another child may be slow.
So consult your Pediatrician for evaluation and if necessay for referral for his developmental screening.
Hope I have answered your query.