4 months baby bending the whole body into c shape. Reasons ?

hi my 4 months old baby is bending her whole body into c shape to the right. when she was born that was much worse as she looked like banana turned into right now when she is getting older is slightly better. when she lay flat i try to put smth under her hip/leg so tha body stay straight. could you tell me what that could be and should i be worried? thank you AAAAA
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012

Thank you for your query.

At birth it is very common for a baby to be curled up with the hand and feet bent. However the bending towards one side (right side in your child's case) needs to be evaluated clinically. I suggest that you consult your doctor who shall take a detailed antenatal, natal and postnatal history and then examine the child. He will then guide you further based on his evaluation.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

Wishing your daughter all the best.

Pediatrician Dr. Amit Kumar's  Response
hello there,
any particular and persistent posturing in a child of any age may be abnormal and need to be evaluated.
few other questions i would like to ask would be about the birth history like whether the baby cried instantly, was there any antenatal infection you were having, was there any post natal infection or history of hospitalization in the baby, has he achieved the milestones normally etc.

any constant posturing with increased or decreased tone may be a sign of cerebral palsy that may be caused by any perinatal insult. or may be without any known cause.

so you should get your child evaluated by a pediatrician who would be in a better position to assess the child clinically and would be able to guide you better if anything needs to be done.

hope my answer guides you in right direction
thanks for the question,
Dr. Amit Kumar