Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.
Since you mention that iron tablets or supplements do not agree with you, you can try natural foods which are rich in iron. You have also mentioned that you are vegetarian and allergic to milk and milk products, and nuts. So, I would suggest the following iron-rich foods:
- Dark green leafy vegetables, like spinach, collards, etc.
- Dates, prunes and raisins
- Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
- Pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds (which can be roasted, powdered and added to dishes while cooking)
- If taking direct iron supplements
causes gastric irritation or other problems, then you can try food which are "fortified" with iron. For example certain cereals and legumes (check the labels), corn
flakes or oats which are fortified with iron and minerals, etc.
Also, eating foods rich in Vitamin C
(like citrus fruits, papaya, broccoli, kale, etc.) will be helpful, since Vitamin C increases the absorption of iron.
Dr. Sheeba Stephen