3 year old with swollen eye and cut on the cheek after a fall. Bleeding from the eye, broken arm. Need to see an ophthalmologist?

Hi, my daughter (3 yrs old) fell off a slide two days ago and hit her right cheek on some metal steps. She was bleeding from the mouth (a small cut, but I m still not sure if her teeth were injured) and the blow to her cheek made her right eye swell up. It was bleeding slightly from the corner of the eye during the time she was in the ER, but has stopped now. The swelling seems better and she has tried to open the eye, but it is hard to tell if it is ok and healing correctly. I worry about infection, as the ER didn t give me anything for it. They took a cat scan and no bones were broken in her face and they said the eye was ok. She will not let me put ice on it. She did have her arm break above the elbow (it was a clear break with a slight dislocation that they corrected before they casted the injured bone). Please advise on what to watch for in the eye and at what point or if at all, should we make an appointment with an ophthalmologist . Thanks, Susan
Asked On : Tue, 11 Sep 2012
If she has no problem with her vision, you can rest assured that there is no problem with her eyes. Only thing important in case of 'black eye' is to rule out a brain injury, which you already have, with a CT Scan. She would be absolutely fine in next 4-5 days. Good luck.