Could you remember if the green stool
started after putting her on formula milk or changing the formula brand? Dark green coloured stool is normal in formula fed babies. Iron contents in the formula is not absorbed completely and remaining part in stool makes it green.
Gas in bowel comes from two source, air and intestine. Baby intakes a lot of air in their stomach while feeding. This is more common in breastfed babies, but also seen in formula fed babies. Please check the following during feeding her -
1. Choose the right feeding bottle. The one with nipple that stays back in baby's mouth and the curvature fits
baby's chin angle is the best. Otherwise, baby has to suck more to get milk. In the process, she intakes more air too.
2. While feeding, put baby in uplifted posture, so mouth is at a higher level than stomach.
3. Put the bottle in such a way that the nipple end of bottle stay lower, then the baby gets only milk, not air.
4. Burp the baby after feeding. Pat repeatedly on her back in sitting position, or hold her on chest so her chin touches your shoulder, then pat on her back. This will make her burp and get the air in stomach out.
5. The air in intestine comes from gas produced by digestion of milk. Intolerance to some food components (most commonly- lactose) may cause excessive production of fowl smelling gas. Prebiotics
and probiotics may help in such situation, consult your pediatrician
If the problem still persists, consult your pediatrician and get your baby examined.
Post if you have further queries.