27 year old with androgenetic alopecia. On metformin for PCOS. Severe hair loss despite using minoxidil. Cure?

Hi Doctor,
I'm a 27 year old female diagnosed with Androgenetic alopecia 2 years ago and have been using 5% Minoxodil twice a day ever since. I also have mild PCOS for which i was given birth control pills for a year till April 2012. I've been on Metformin since last year and my PCOS seems to be in control as the other symptoms have vanished. No more acne, I do get periods very 35 days. My hair parting was slightly wide but then hair loss was not really noticeable to the layman. I've hardly had any hair fall over the last 1 year, however, over the last 1 month I've noticed my hair falling out in clumps especially while showering. It falls out even when i brush it. I have not discontinued Minoxidil and haven't had any major stressful events apart from a break-up which was stressful but not traumatic. What could be the reason for my hair fall? Has Minoxidil stopped working? Also, is it true that minoxidil only delays the hair loss and does not stop it?

Thank you for your time
Asked On : Thu, 28 Mar 2013