26 weeks pregnant, intense abdominal pain, cramps, back pain. Cause of cramps?

Hi, I am 26 weeks pregnant, I have fairly intense lower abdominal pain, cramps that come and go. I also have pain in my lower back, only on the left hand side. I have been to see the hospital today, for a routine check up & had myself checked out. I have been told that the back pain is due to the weight of the uterus on the nerve,
And the cramps were due to a viginal infection, while the back pain makes sense, the cramps doesn't. They come and go and are fairly intense....any suggestions.
Asked On : Fri, 26 Apr 2013