2.3 year old talks gibberish, responds to his name. Should I be concerned about his speech?

My son is 2.3 years old and talks gibberish. He never says mommy unless he s crying. He responds to his name, recognizes the names of familiar characters- Mickey, Nemo, etc and mimics favorite scenes when DVD s on, e.g. Screaming, sounds, etc. he s also just been in crèche for 2 weeks. My questions are1. Do I have to be concerned about his speech and see a therapist? 2. He has been placed in a class with 0-18 years olds because the 2-3 year olds were too rough and teachers worried he might get hurt. Will this not affect his development? E.g. Regress
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013
Emergency Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Nothing to be worried about since it's still in the normal development curve for his age, and since he's in a younger class it's perfectly normal he imitates the habits from the other kids, what I recommend it's that when he's at home everybody talk to him normally (not baby like) so he can start learning from the people around him and he should develop gradually more and more understandable phrases and sentences.