Thanks for opting healthcaremagic.com to post your query and giving us this opportunity to answer your question.
Well, most of the loose stools that children have at this age is generally viral diarrhoea
can happen in viral diarrhoea. Antibiotics are not indicated in viral diarrhoea. You need to answer a few of the following questions :
1) Are the stools blood or mucous containing?
2) Are the stools large in amount causing significant dehydration?
3) Has he need to be hospitalised because of the loose stools?
4) Does he cry or complain of pain while passing stools or urine?
5) Are the stools very foul smelling?
Above are few of the bad signs of diarrhoea which might warrant a visit to the pediatrician
. Things that you need to do at home if the above danger signs are absent :
1) Give him plenty of oral fluids, ORS
, coconut water and plain water to drink.
2) Continue the regular diet preferably diet containing curd, rice, moong dal, fruits.
3) Watch for signs of dehydration like reduced urine output
, irritability, lethargy
I hope I have been successful in answering all your questions. Such kind of diarrhoea generally settles off within a week to 10 days maximum. I will be available for any further queries of yours. Take care and stay healthy.