2 yr old has badly irritated eyes, low grade fever, trouble breathing. Reasons ?

Hi my 2 year old son yesterday tipped shower gel all over his head I washed it off but he got it in to his eyes and it caused his eyes to be badly irritated and he refused to open his eyes for most of the next day... But how I am afraid he might of ingested some of it cos he has a low grade fever know and has some trouble breathing ... I find it odd seeming he has ate after it all and was playing how not so good.
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012
hello dear,
some, not all, shower gels or shampoo have isopropyl alcohol as a constituent in them that can cause poisonous effects in children especially in ingested or aspirated.

this being alcohol is absorbed in the blood stream and may also cause aspiration of fumes into lung causing respiratory symptoms. especially if taken in large amount.

as you said your child is complaining of respiratory difficulty you should take your child to emergency to get him examined by a pediatrician.

some tests that would be needed may be blood biochemistry, Blood gas analysis and Xray chest, ECG or any other test considered necessary for the child.

don't panic and be calm, as every thing should be alright with the right care.

wish your child rappid recovery and good health
Dr. Amit Kumar