19 year old having tingling in the left arm and fingers. Heart problem?

I woke up this morning a lot earlier than usual because I had tingling in my arms but mainly my left arm, in panic I googled it and the word heart attack kept coming up which made me panic even more, I m a 19 year old with no known underlying heart problems, after around an hour I just seem to have the slightest tingly feeling in my left hand especially in my last 2 fingers. What could it be? Is it serious?
Asked On : Mon, 13 Aug 2012

Thanks for writing in.
Heart attack do have one of the symptom as tingling in left arms. But it is usually associated with sweating, palpitation, pain on exertion. Along with symptoms you need to get ECG done to confirm heart attack.
Tingling in left arm can be associated with neck problems like pressure on cervical nerves by cervical spine or it can be due to uncomfortable position in which we sleep. Even carpel tunnel syndrome can give rise to such pain but you need to consult physician to rule out heart disease and other conditions.
I hope I have answered your query.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.
General & Family Physician Dr. Kulbir Singh's  Response
Thanks for writing in HCM.
According to your symptoms you may suffering with cervical spondylosis. In your age due to sitting posture, many peoples are suffering with this problem. Nothing to worry about this. You should concentrate on your posture means your posture should be straight. Use hard bed. Avoid pillow or use thin pillow. Avoid jerky movements of neck. Heart problem not occurs only when there is left arm pain. Angina i.e.Heart pain associated with Chest pain with shortness of breath and many other symptoms . Many risk factors are there for Heart problem i.e. High Cholestrol level, Hypertension, Diabetes Mellitus, Increasing age. You should get your ECG , Echo done precautionary. You should go for physiotherapy if problem is severe. According to my opinion you are not suffering with Heart problem.
With Best wishes.