18 year old student, shared brass instruments, worried about contracting mono infection. Treatment?

Hello, My name is XXXXXXX and I am an 18-year-old senior who just graduated from high school. My twin brother and I are going to be moving to college in less than a month, but I am afraid that we may have contracted mononucleosis from our friend. Yesterday, we all played a few brass instruments together and swapped around; only until later did we remember that he had mono last year. I don t know when he had mono exactly, but he tells me that it was over a year-and-a-half ago and assures me that we will not be infected. Still, I can t help feeling that we will contract the disease, ruining our first crucial weeks at college. Any answer to my query will be appreciated. Thank you again.
Asked On : Tue, 24 Jul 2012
Hello and welcome to HCM,

I dont see any reason to be afraid if you have only swapped around bass instruments.
Mono is an infectious disease and a person who has it carries the risk of transmitting the disease upto 18 months , highest chances are within 6 weeks of infection, which has surely passed with your friend.
The mode of transmission is saliva. And unless you have not come in contact with the saliva (kissing or a lot of sneezing), there is nothing to worry about.

Hope I helped