16 year old having kidney problems. Report showing difference in the kidney sizes and cortical thinning. what does it mean?

HELLO My 16 year old son has problems with his kidneys etc and has a mitrofanoff etc and has a number of other medical problems. I have just received a review letter after seeing his consultant which states his right kidney measures 10.6cm with focal cortical thinning and mild calyceal prominence with the AP diameter measuring 7mm (previously 18mm). The left kidney measured 9.7cm with focal areas of cortical thinning, mild calyceal prominence and AP diameter of 7mm (previously 13mm). Could you please tell me exactly what this means, and why the diameters would be so different and if I should be concerned at this stage. I thank you for your help.
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013